Monday 26 April 2010

The Orchard


The Day Came Slow, Till Five O' Clock

By Emily Dickinson


The day came slow, till five o'clock

Then sprang before the hills

Like hindered rubies, or the light

A sudden musket spills


The purple could not keep the east,

The sunrise shook from fold,

Like breadths of topaz, packed a night,

The lady just unrolled.


The happy winds their timbrels took;

The birds, in docile rows,

Arranged themselves around their prince

(The wind is prince of those).


The orchard sparkled like a Jew, --

How mighty 't was, to stay

A guest in this stupendous place,

The parlor of the day!



The Orchard


I don't understand Emily Dickinson why,

I don't understand

I don't understand why the orchard should

"sparkle like a Jew"

I can understand how the sunrise might

in synaesthesia, sound and look like a musket

report across the skies, how the colours

amassed in the morning slowly in palette

become the glitter of jewels,

but I don't understand why the orchard should

"sparkle like a Jew"

I can understand why the birds benumbed by sleep

might as you say Emily be arrayed in a docile row,

how wind may take on regal airs, to pun,

how the morning could be like a woman at a dressing

table, putting on her finery,

but my dear Emily, I don't understand why

the orchard should "sparkle like a Jew"



source for photo:


1 comment:


  1. http://xpalidosis.blogspot.com/2015/02/anti-semitism.html

    ReplyDelete