Wednesday 6 January 2010

I have butterflies in my stomach

I have butterflies in my stomach
they are there with other proverbs
and sayings, with the gift horse
neighing I told you so, and shank'spony,
the hobbling feet, the chick
that was abandoned by the eggs,
the whale that swallowed my mind
and the bestiary of insects buzzing
busily through my innards like similes
are wont to do, now these butterflies
are sickening to perceive, wobbling
against the lining, like bacon rind
tickling the gut, gut to gut, and with maggot
eyes which look out at the others whirling
around my being, the earwigs running
through eightenth century puns, clipped
by the end of the poem, i throw up ati
nterview, all of these creatures darwin
never allowed, they involved only Art
the science kept in the closet, in denial
the limpet stuck fast to the project
and there! the butterflies are now freed.

No comments:

Post a Comment