Monday 4 January 2010

Winter Poem series


A Female Blackbird


A female blackbird, frozen bundle of feathers

looks at me, I think what if I were to rescue

her, take her up in my arms and nurse her

I walk forward a dozen or so steps, trouble

would she respond? does she even need me?

the squat concrete apartment building set

her in contrast, she looked compact and cute,

then the scientist in me, thought well Nature's

going to deal with her, I mean my intervention

in her fate, might well upset the Apple Cart

to mix metaphors badly, and I quickened my pace

still thinking, should I the sentimentalist I am

go back, it was not too late, I could feed her

and provide warmth, but what would happen

if she were to die in my care, responsibility

is a big thing for us, sadly I wrote a poem

to give her, all I could do, a short immortality.

No comments:

Post a Comment